About Our Company
Clients partner with Cooley on transformative deals, complex IP and regulatory matters, and high-stakes litigation, where innovation meets the law.
Cooley has 1,400 lawyers across 18 offices in the United States, Asia and Europe, and a total workforce of 3,300.
Job Description & Responsibilities
Cooley LLP is seeking a Business Analyst to join its Information Services team.
The IS Business Analyst (BA) is responsible for gathering, formulating and documenting requirements for changes and additions to the Firm’s systems, application and technology inventory. Additionally, the BA role is expected to develop business process automation within our low-code / no- code platform. This role requires a deep knowledge of and integration to the business processes of various departments within the firm. This position interacts with both the end users of IS services, as well as the technical resources that are part of the implementation and support processes.
The BA is also responsible for the functional specification documents for features and changes to applications and system platforms. Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collect, collate and compile requirements from management and end users using interviews, document analysis, surveys, use cases, business process descriptions, business analysis, task and workflow analysis. Collaborate with developers and subject matter experts to document the technical vision and analyze and document tradeoffs between usability and performance needs
- Experience in the digitization of business process and automation through low-code / no-code platforms
- Evaluate the impact, return and costs presented by IS-assigned work process improvement opportunities
- Provide analysis, data modeling and recommendations on a specific course of action for applications and workflow
- Proactively communicate and collaborate with management to analyze information needs and functional requirements
- Prepare and maintain functional specification documents to aid the software selection, design, development, testing, troubleshooting, and implementation process for IS projects, including audit of effects of current and future functions and features
- Be the liaison between the business units, technology teams and support teams
- Create and maintain use cases to aid the testing and evaluation of changes and additions to applications
- Create user-friendly presentations to highlight challenges and opportunities and facilitate decision making
- Formulate and maintain business processes and practices for the supported departments
- Participate in the features and defects reporting and tracking process as needed
- Interact with application developers to communicate requirements and answer any questions
- Work with the QA function/resources to create and maintain test cases and scripts to aid in the testing process
- Review completed work against the written specification
- All other duties as assigned or required
- After orientation at Cooley LLP, exhibit proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite, iManage and other firm applications
- Ability to work extended and/or weekend hours, as required
- 3+ years of business analyst related work experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or creditable work experience
- Technical writing and documentation experience
- Working knowledge of legal project management and matter lifecycle management
- Knowledge of applications such as: .Net, K2 (or other LCNC), SharePoint, Visio, MS Project
- Advanced Degree
- Knowledge of reporting applications; SSRS, Crystal Reports, Tableau
- CBAP certification or equivalent
- Prior law firm experience
- Excellent customer service skills
- Must be able to balance competing needs and prioritize tasks
- Creative thinker and problem solver
- Strong critical thinker
- Ability to successfully engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously
- Excellent analytical and documentation skills
- Detail-oriented and strong follow-up skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Professional demeanor
- Ability to work independently and under pressure/tight time constraints
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal) skills with technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to work error-free in a fast-paced environment
What we offer
Cooley offers a competitive compensation and excellent benefits package and is committed to fair and equitable employment practices. EOE.
The expected annual pay range for this position is $100,000 - $130,000. Please note that final offer amount will be dependent on geographic location, applicable experience and skillset of the candidate.
We offer a full range of elective benefits including medical, health savings account (with applicable medical plan), dental, vision, health and/or dependent care flexible spending accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits, life insurance, AD&D, long-term care coverage, backup care for children and/or adults and other parental support benefits. In addition to elective benefit options, benefited employees receive firm-paid life insurance, AD&D, LTD, short term medical benefits as well as 21 days of Paid Time Off (“PTO”) and 10 paid holidays each year. We provide generous parental leave and fertility benefits. New employees will attend a detailed benefit orientation to learn more about our many benefits and resources.