February 29, 2024
About Our Company
The Subaru Family, by our definition, goes far beyond our family of products. It includes one of our greatest assets – our employees – as well as our Subaru family of owners, retailers, and business and community partners. We treat each other like family because we are family. Since the early days of the company, we have worked to create a culture where employees are encouraged to be themselves and are supported by everyone around them.
The Subaru Love Promise is our vision to show love and respect to all people at every interaction. We believe that our differences make us stronger. These experiences allow us to learn from each other, offer unique ideas, add value as team members, which ultimately, allows us to grow our business opportunity and personal lives.
Job Description & Responsibilities
Jointly oversees the parts packaging operations by collaboratively working with the Subaru of America (SOA) Packaging Engineer, Subaru of Indiana Automotive (SIA), Subaru Corporation (SBR) and other third parties setting strategic plans to minimize overall cost and increase the efficiency and production towards the future growth of SOA. Works closely with third-party companies and vendors to ensure SOA packaging standards and requirements are met by evaluating operational efficiency, effectiveness of production, and jointly managing packaging costs with SOA’s Packaging Engineer. Maintains joint responsibility with Packaging Engineer for re-evaluating actual material cost of all shipping and packaging items and seeking savings as corrugated market price fluctuates.
In relation to customer service, constantly monitors damages to determine areas that require more attention, modifications, and improvements. Works closely with SOA’s Packaging Engineer developing price lists for packaging labor by conducting time studies, setting piece rates per production, and recommending optimal line head count and staffing requirement for the packaging operations for a very wide variety of automotive parts and accessories in both SOA’s two Master Parts Distribution Centers as well as SOA’s seven Regional Parts Distribution Centers (RDCs).
- Supports the Packaging Engineer to oversee the overall packaging operation within SOA’s two Master Parts Packaging centers and SOA’s seven RDCs, to ensure that parts are packaged in an efficient manner, to reduce overall cost and minimize down-time.
- Conducts time and motion studies to establish standard production rates for packaging of service/accessory parts and any other labor-related parts packaging projects.
- Works with the Packaging Engineer to continuously recalculate the cost of corrugated packaging material and adjust the price of paper content to avoid paper cost increases by the suppliers.
- Continuously monitors damage rates, provides detailed analysis/reports and improves current packaging specifications.
- Supports SOA’s Packaging Engineer by continuously evaluating how parts are shipped, received, and packaged.
- Analyzes direct and indirect labor costs, material costs and warehouse space when determining if it is most effective to package/kit in-house or by an outside vendor.
- Using Engineered Time Studies, determines most efficient staffing for each packaging job and assigns tasks to balance the workload among the packaging line operators to achieve the highest efficiency rate by engineering/analyzing data from multiple systems.
- Works with the Warehouse Management System (WMS) team and Inventory Control Specialists (ISCs) to ensure parts are allocated in the warehouse in a lean manner to reduce unnecessary travel time.
- Assists the Packaging Engineer with package design and testing.
- Completes cost reports or other assignments as required by the SOA management.
- Audits invoices by material and labor to validate against established pricing, contracts, business rules and agreements.
- Seeks out opportunities to improve efficiency and minimize manual labor within the warehouse environment.
- Notifies vendors and partners of errors, develops, and implements corrective action plans.
- Ensures parts are inspected and have a descriptive specification template attached at all repackaging centers.
- Works with SOA’s Packaging Engineer to ensure that all parties have a system which is well-organized, straightforward and contains adequate data to improve the packaging operation and communication.
- Maintains an elevated level of accuracy in auditing invoices and notifies suppliers of discrepancies and seek justification or resolution.
- Finds other opportunities to increase production by improving efficiency and minimizing the cost under the guidance of SOA’s Packaging Engineer.
Required Skills And Abilities
- Highly Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Proven working experience in Data Analytics or Business Data Analytics
- Strong knowledge of Qlik®, Power BI or similar data analytics software to create dashboards and interactive reports.
- Familiarity with Oracle Discoverer, Red Prairie/JDA and/or Manhattan WMS, Twin Engines, SAS or Statistical Languages and design and modeling software preferred.
- Familiar with packaging materials and designs using corrugated fiberboard, wood, foams, assemblies, flexible plastic films, tapes, and adhesives.
- Familiarity with LEAN manufacturing and warehousing principles.
- Ability to prioritize and manage critical projects and work on teams in a demanding environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple critical projects.
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to perform with minimal supervision.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Initiative-taking individual with a continuous improvement mindset.
- At least two (2) years of experience in a manufacturing or production or distribution environment.
- At least one (1) year of experience in automotive or durable consumer packaging.
- At least a 4-year college degree in a highly analytical/technical discipline required, with a BS degree in either management, statistics, or engineering.
- Lifting up to 50 lbs.
- 60% Office, 30% Warehouse floor, 10% (SIA-SPF) Service Parts Factory
- 15% to Import Service Parts Master (GPM), 7 RDCs, SIA, vendors, and suppliers
What we offer
SALARY RANGE: The recruiting base salary range for this full-time position is $65800 - $94000 / year