December 4, 2023
About Our Company
Unum is a company of people serving people. A Fortune 500 company, we help millions of people gain affordable access to disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental and vision benefits through the workplace — benefits that help them protect their families, their finances and their futures. Our products and services meet the needs of a diverse workforce that includes four generations, growing ethnic diversity and changing family dynamics.
A strong commitment to social responsibility is one of Unum's core values. In fact, we place particular emphasis on contributing to positive change in the communities in which we live and work. Helping our communities become better is a natural extension of the commitment we make each and every day to our customers — to help employers manage their businesses and employees protect their families and livelihoods.
We look forward to sharing industry news, community involvement, recognition and other info we hope you find interesting and informative. We encourage your comments and feedback so we can be a valuable resource for you and get to know you a little better.
Job Description & Responsibilities
UNUM is looking to hire an experienced Business Analyst II to join a growing team. This person will be working with the agile team collaborating with the existing Principal Business Analyst and Product Owner to understand business requirements. You will be responsible for translating business requirements to user stories (Rally, Jira), identifying dependencies, and assisting with work intake and allocation.
In the first 90 days the Business Analyst II will acquire business process knowledge quickly, effective refinements and managing Rally work items.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Maintain holistic understanding of IT Delivery roadmap and track any changes to the roadmap are aligned in the backlog tooling enabling teams to leverage automated roadmaps and status report, metrics functionality
- Collaborates with business partners and the agile team to define, coordinate and at times execute Acceptance Testing
- Gather requirements for persona of specific user experiences. Completes Information architecture and works with UXD resources to ensure excellent user experience is delivered or Partners with UX and builds knowledge of UX tools and techniques to incorporate persona needs into the product backlog and requirements
- Review the acceptance criteria with the Team (Software Engineers and Test Engineers) to ensure agreement on testability so the team can drive toward getting the right tests automated to support continuous integration
- Elicit requirements using appropriate techniques (often times elicitation will require work on artifacts such as Personas, User Stories and/or Story Maps) and work with Product Owners in the creation and elaboration of product backlog work items including acceptance criteria (Features, User Stories)
- Collaborates with the Team (Architects, Software Engineers, Test Engineers, etc.) to ensure that the team defines, builds and produces features and solutions that meet or exceed what the Product Owner is expecting. Exhibits the technical acumen necessary to be a contributing member of solution design discussions.
- Ensures that the latest project progress is known to the agile team by ensuring Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tools are up to date and participating in daily stand-ups outlining progress made, progress planned and detailing impediments
- Ensures that Product or adoption KPIs identified can feasibly be measured and tracked within development and delivery activities, ensuring key data points are identified and included from the outset within the scope of the agile teamwork
- Ensure integrity of work items as they are broken down and refined throughout hierarchy of work items in the product backlog. Identify where intent may be lost or overlooked during the work breakdown and refinement processes. i.e. Descoping or need for supplementary requirement gathering
- Ensure that key information needed to support PO prioritization is current, accurate and available in a usable format to drive high quality decisions.
- Ensure functional and non-functional requirements, with appropriate documentation are represented effectively in the product backlog
- Ensure that product backlog work items e.g. user stories are meeting the definition of ready/done in line with enterprise targets on backlog readiness, often called planning horizons or planning intake funnel along with respect of quality of content and data integrity on key fields to drive transparency and effective reporting.
- Identify data sources and gather and analyze data relevant to processes impacted by the solutions being created.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, or equivalent experience
- Has experience working as part of an agile team using Agile Development Methodologies
- Takes a logical, analytical approach to problem solving and pays close attention to detail
- Strong oral and written communication skills to document and communication requirements
- Strong team player; able to work effectively within a team and more broadly with people from a variety of backgrounds and areas across the organization
- Able to solve complex business problems and drive customer experience and operational efficiency objectives
- IIBA certifications are a plus
What we offer
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
$73,300 - $139,200
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.